4402 Return to the Lord and He will have compassion
Zechariah 1:3-6 (NASB)
3 “Therefore say to them, ‘Thus says the LORD of hosts, “Return to Me,” declares the LORD of hosts, “that I may return to you,” says the LORD of hosts.
4 “Do not be like your fathers, to whom the former prophets proclaimed, saying, ‘Thus says the LORD of hosts, “Return now from your evil ways and from your evil deeds.”‘ But they did not listen or give heed to Me,” declares the LORD.
5 “Your fathers, where are they? And the prophets, do they live forever?
6 “But did not My words and My statutes, which I commanded My servants the prophets, overtake your fathers? Then they repented and said, ‘As the LORD of hosts purposed to do to us in accordance with our ways and our deeds, so He has dealt with us.'”’”
I love that we are in Zechariah. I love the power and the promise of this book.
- The Horsemen in chapter one are Angels.
- They are in the midst of myrtle trees which means they are in the midst of blessings.
- The Four Horns and Four Craftsman are nations which God used to accomplish His plan.
- Four Horns are Babylon, Medo-Persia, Greece and Rome
- Four Craftsman are Medo-Persia, Greece, Rome and the Messianic Kingdom
- Zechariah 2 is where we see the answer to the Angel’s question in 1:12.
- Jerusalem will be inhabited again and overflow beyond the Old City.
- This happened in our day and time and is setting up the return of Jesus and the Millennial reign of Christ on Earth.
- Zechariah 3 is a scene in heaven where Joshua the High Priest is standing before the Lord being accused by Satan. Joshua is an individual and also symbolic of all of us standing before the Lord covered in sin. Satan accuses and Jesus silences him. Then the promise is given that all our sins will be cleansed in one day (3:9).
- The Branch is Jesus who will come from the line of David.
- Zechariah 4 is the Vision of the Golden Lamp stand and Olive Trees.
- The Lamp stand stood in the Temple and needed to be tended to by being kept filled with oil so that they flame would never go out. It was a difficult job.
- The Vision is of God having two Olive trees which would cause the oil to flow in such a way that it would always fill the Lamp Stand.
- This is a sign of a day when the Holy Spirit would flow upon us all to be lights for the Lord and never go out.
- The Olive Trees are the two witnesses who are beside the Lord and will come in the last days to preach for three and a half years (Rev. 11). The most likely are Enoch and Elijah (some say Moses and Elijah).
This promise was for them and it is for us…
Zechariah 4:6 (NASB)
6 Then he said to me, “This is the word of the LORD to Zerubbabel saying, ‘Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit,’ says the LORD of hosts.